Medical Surgical Nursing
The department of Medical and Surgical nursing was established in the year of 2007 with the undergraduate programme. The teaching programme for B.Sc (N) helps the students to understand the principles and concepts of Medical Surgical Nursing and acquire knowledge and develop professional skills in caring for patients with Medical and Surgical disorders in variety of health care settings at home and hospital.
Medical and Surgical nursing department believes that nursing contributes to the health services in a vital and significant way in the health care delivery system. It aims at identifying the needs of the people, planning and providing quality care in collaboration with other health professionals and community group. It also aims at provision of promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative aspects of care to people across their life span in a wide variety of healthcare settings based upon application of the basic concept and principles derived from the physical, biological, behavioral sciences, medical and surgical nursing/
- Apply the knowledge from physical, biological and behavioral sciences, medicine including alternative system and nursing in providing nursing care to individuals, families and communities.
- Demonstrate understanding of life style and other factors which affect the health status of individuals and groups.
- Provide nursing care based on steps of nursing process in collaboration with the individuals and groups.
- Utilize the latest trends and technology in providing healthcare.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skill in making decisions in all situations in order to provide quality care.
- Conduct need based research studies in various settings and utilize the research findings to improve the quality care.
- Demonstrate awareness, right attitude in caring individuals and families with acute and chronic conditions.
Child Health Nursing
The department of Child Health Nursing was established in the year 2007 with the undergraduate programme and in 1995 with the post graduate programme. The department of Child Health Nursing helps the students to understand the modern concept of child-care, develoop in-depth understanding of identification, prevention and nursing management of common problems of neonate and children. They provide family centered care in clinical and community setting.
The department of child nursing believes that:
- It will enable the student community to acquire the essential knowledge in the field of pediatric nursing to fulfill the emerging needs of the country in maintaining international standards.
- It will equip the students so that they could give holistic care to the children.
- It will train the students so that they are recognized as neonatal and pediatric nursing specialists.
- It will ensure that the students develop excellent skills in taking care of intervention needed in medical and surgical problems of children.
- The students of the department will be able to handle critical children confidently.
- The department could develop the students in such a way that they become effective nurse educators, nurse managers, and nurse researchers in the field of pediatric nursing.
The department of child health nursing aims to:
- Assist students in developing expertise and in-depth understanding in the field of child health nursing
- Help the students to appreciate the child as holistic individual and develop skills to function as pediatric nurse specialist.
- Enable the student to function as an educator, manager and researcher in the field of child health nursing.
Obstetrics and Gynaecological Nursing
The department of obstetrics and gynaecological nursing was established in the year 2007 with the undergraduate programme. The teaching programme for B.Sc. (Nursing) students will help them to understand the principles and concepts of obstetrics and gynecological nursing and acquiring knowledge and develop professional skills in caring for mothers with normal physiological changes and disorders related to pregnancy and child birth in variety of health care settings at home and in hospitals.
- We want the nursing students trained in our obstetrics and gynecological nursing department to be the best in their specialty areas and function effectively and efficiently in various extended and expanded role to provide care to individual and community incorporating the changing needs of the society and health care delivery system.
- We recognize that the nursing students trained here can demonstrate leadership qualities to work in the area of obstetrics and gynecological departments as to efficiently function both inside the country and internationally.
- We accept that obstetrics and gynecological nursing training can mould the nurse with professional knowledge, skill and attitude in areas of nursing and there-by uphold the professional image and enhance in building a healthy nation.
The aim of the obstetrics and gynecological nursing programme is to prepare under and post graduates to resume responsibilities as registered midwife specialists, educators, administrators in a wide variety of professional settings.
The department of Mental Health Nursing was established in the year 2o08 with the undergraduate programme. The teaching programme for B.Sc (N) students will help them to understand the principles and concepts of mental health nursing and acquire knowledge and develop professional skills in caring for patients with psychiatric illnesses in variety of health care settings in the hospital and at home.
- We believe that the post graduate programme in Mental Health Nursing is essential to prepare nurses to improve the quality of psychiatric and mental health nursing education to practice in India and internationally.
- We realize that the post graduate programme in mental health nursing builds upon and extends competence acquired at the graduate levels, emphasizes application of relevant theories into mental health nursing practice and development of specialty research skills.
- We accept that the post graduation program in mental health nursing prepares nurses for leadership position in psychiatric and mental health nursing and health fields to function as nurse specialists, consultants, educators, administrators and researchers in a wide variety of professional settings in order to meet the changing needs of the health care consumers. The programme provides a base for further education and encourages accountability and commitment to improve quality care in psychiatric and mental health nursing and thereby build personal and professional attributes of the learner.
The aim of the mental health and psychiatric nursing programme in nursing is to prepare graduates to assume responsibilities as registered nurse specialists, educators and administrators in a wide variety of health care settings.
Community Health Nursing
The department of community health nursing was established in the year 2007 with the undergraduate programme. The teaching programme for B.Sc (N) students will help them to understand the principles and concepts of community health nursing and acquire knowledge & develop professional skills in caring for clients in the community.
- We believe that knowledge about the community health nursing among nursing students will ensure competence in functioning at the different levels of health programmes implemented in the community.
- We appreciate a desirable attitude in students form the basis for amalgamation of knowledge into practicei n applying a holistic, comprehensive nursing care of individuals and families, both in the rural and urban communities.
- We realize that graduate nursing students at all levels of learning will integrate the cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains with application of evidence based community education in upgrading the critical thinking skills and standards required for legal and ethical community nursing practice.
At the end of the community health nursing course, the student will be able to:
- Function efficiently as a community health nurse at various levels of health care delivery system.
- Work effectively as a community health nurse by integrating principles of various levels of prevention.
- Plan and organize various clinics including the principles of national and state level programmes.
- Participate in various health programmes applying the principles of supervision, education and effective communication.
- Demonstrate the right knowledge, skill and attitude in caring for individuals and families n the community.
- Exhibit accountability in teaching and supervising the primary health-care personnel at various levels of health care delivery system in imparting a comprehensive community nursing care.
- Record and report vital and day-to-day events that occur among families and communities.
This department offers programmes to help the professionals understand the basic principles of family and community health in rural and urban areas. Clinical experience for undergraduate students is provided at the Institute of Public Health, M.C.H. Center, Primary Health Center, and Rural Health Centre at Gandhigram. The students are given opportunity for field visits in District T.B. Centre, District Leprosy Centre and Infectious Diseases Hospital.